Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Baby D's Eggless Chocolate Cake

So, I know it’s been awhile (miss me?) but I have my energy and creative juices up and ready to start working again.

With that, my first offering is the lovely (pink) cake I made for my nieces birthday. As I’ve mentioned before, the little princess can’t eat eggs but a little thing like that is certainly not going to keep Ms. D from getting her dream birthday cake. DeeDee requested a chocolate cake with whipped cream frosting. And she wanted it pink. Needless to say, Auntie delivered.

The cake is very moist, but a little lacking in flavor. Next time I make this cake I’m going to add some cinnamon and chili powder to help make the flavor a little more interesting. The cake itself is vegan, so feel free to leave off the whipped cream or substitute a different frosting for a lovely vegan option. 

 

Recipe and more pictures after the jump 

Eggless Chocolate Cake (from All Recipes)

What you need…

  • 4 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 cups water
  • 3 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
What to do…
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, soda and salt. Add sugar and mix together.
  3. Add oil, water and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
  4. Pour into a 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Basic Whipped Cream Frosting (Modified from All Recipes)

What you need…
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
  • Food coloring (I used red and green)

What to do…
1.            In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like.
2.            Separate a little bit of whipped cream and put in a separate bowl for accent color (in my case, green)
3.            To each of the bowls, add food coloring drop by drop until you get the desired color.
4.            Frost cake with main color.
5.            Put accent color in pastry bag (or, if using a ziplock baggie like me, snip the corner) and, most importantly,
6.            Have fun!

Pink!

Green!

Maybe I should invest in a pastry bag...

Decorating is not my strong suit but I'm getting better each time

Her favorite part of the cake was sticking her finger in the frosting and licking it

Sharing with Auntie

2 comments:

  1. This looks sooooo yummy.
    FROSTING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish i had that cake when i turned three!

    ReplyDelete