Friday, April 13, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Cake

This is the first recipe I’ve tried off of the massive time-sucking (yet delightful) Pinterest (for serious, why is it so amazing?) Anyway, I found this cake to be an absolute delight. The edges are crispy, the inside is soft, and it works equally well as a dessert or breakfast.  I chose to leave off the glaze as I felt the cake had enough sugar in it without adding the sweet topping. I was happy with the results, although I will include the glaze for anyone who wants all the elements of a traditional cinnamon roll. I also decided to bake it in my heart-shaped pan for no other reason than I like my heart-shaped pan, although it did make the cake thicker and thus alter the cooking time. I would in the future use the pan size listed (and thus will include the original cooking time), but a smashing success overall. Enjoy!



Cinnamon Roll Cake (from Cooking Up North)

What you need…

Cake:
3 c. flour
1/4 tsp.salt
1 c. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. butter, melted

Topping:
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Glaze (optional):
2 c. powdered sugar
5 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla


What to do…

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For the cake, mix everything together except for the butter. Slowly stir in the melted butter and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. For the topping, mix all the ingredients together until well combined (I found cutting the butter in to be helpful). Drop evenly over the batter and swirl with a knife. Bake for 28-32 minutes.

For optional glaze, mix ingredients together and drizzle over cake while still warm. 

Cake batter pre-topping
Topping dropped on top


Topping swirled in

No comments:

Post a Comment