Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Peach-Browned Butter Pie

Since summer is on its way out and fresh summer fruit will not be around anymore (yes, I am a tad late but Berkeley Bowl had peaches so it was ok) I decided to make something that would allow me to savor the last bit of summer flavors. I for some reason lost my lemons in my refrigerator, so I ended up using orange peel. I would defiantly recommend using the lemon, as I think it would brighten up the flavors a bit. I also ended up using 3 good sized peaches, because to me fruity desserts should actually be fruity. If I were to make this pie again, I would use fewer eggs in the browned butter mixture for a better texture (in my humble opinion). Also, I totally used a pre-made pie crust since this is only my second fruit pie ever. I think I would make this pie again when yummy summery fruit comes back in season.

Peach-Browned Butter Pie (from Ultimate Desserts Magazine 2010)

What you need…

  • Single Pie Crust (you can either use a pre-made or make your own…I used pre-made)
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
  • ¼ cup butter
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¾ cup butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches (2 medium)
  • ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

What to do…

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • For streusel topping, in a food processor combine ½ cup flour, oats, ¼ cup almonds, 2 tbs. granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ¾ tsp. nutmeg, and ¼ tsp. salt. Process until mixture resembles course crumbs.
  • In a small saucepan heat ¾ cup butter over medium-low heat until melted. Continue heating until butter turns a light golden brown. Remove from heat. In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, 1 cup granulated sugar, ½ cup flour, vanilla, and ¼ tsp. salt. Whisk in browned butter; set aside.
  • In a large bowl toss together peaches, ½ cup almonds (optional), lemon peel, and ¼ tsp. nutmeg. Transfer mixture to pastry shell. Pour browned butter mixture over peach mixture. Top with streusel topping.
  • Place pie on baking sheet. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until filling is set and golden. Cool on wire rack.


Melting then browning the butter



Streusel topping



Boiling the peaches for easy skin removal



Skinned peaches



Pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment